Performing Techniques and Playing with Backing Tracks
Be Ready for Your Next Concert
This workshop will focus on playing with "backing tracks" and performance techniques. Classes will be very interactive with a LOT of group playing by all participants, every day. Learn how to prepare your stage presence and tracks for your next performance. Discover how to play with backing tracks and how to begin creating your own with just a few NAF’s.
If you are part of a flute circle, you'll learn how turn your group into your own NAF ensemble. This is a great way to get everyone playing at the same time!
This will be our most comprehensive workshop for performing and playing.
The Playing with Backing Tracks part of the workshop will cover:
- Techniques to improvise over backing tracks in ways that are musically satisfying
- How to follow backing tracks, (when to start playing, when to stop, ways to keep from getting stale)
- Taking your tune to the next level.
- Which notes work best over certain sections/chords
- Creating a NAF orchestra and taking turns being soloists and ensemble members
- Explore the chords and rhythms of backing tracks by playing them as a group
- Discover ways chords for backing tracks are put together by making our own chords
The Performance Techniques part of the workshop will cover all aspects of playing in front of an audience:
- Different types of microphones, when and how to use them
- The basics of sounds systems
- Echo and Reverb, getting that “playing in a canyon" sound
- How to present yourself on stage
- Planning and Preparing for a performance
- Ways to get your audience to support you and your playing while you are on stage
More details to come…
This will be an small workshop to give participants more personalized instruction. Space is Limited!
Workshop requirements: All participants must have NAF’s in A and D (a 5th lower), tuned to 440.
Bass D NAFs will work, high D flutes will not. In other words, the D flute should be bigger/longer than the A.
Dates:October 11-14, 2017
Price:$299.00Sign Up with a Deposit and Save Your Space$25.00 Deposit to hold your spaceSign Up Here
The Sage Inn Santa Fe: The Official Hotel for Ancestral Spirits
Photos from the 2014 Soaring Spirits workshop. It was a great workshop. Everyone wrote and recorded a song and had fun!
Scroll down to see some of our favorite photos from the 2014 workshop.
The 2014 Soaring Spirits Songwriting Workshop Graduation Dinner Photo
We had participants from all over the country and Canada!
Tom M. performs his song
Marcia and Scott talk about her song
Save Money on Santa Fe Flute School Workshops!
Santa Fe Flute School Rewards
Casey and Scott go over his song.
Mack performs his song
Tom plays his song
Marcia plays her song
Laura, Casey and Nina improvise a trio
Mark H. plays a solo
Mark N. plays a solo
About the instructor: Scott August
August's music has received numerous awards, including the prestigious Native American Music Award (NAMMY), an Indian Summer Music Award and Zone Music Reporter (ZMR) Award In 2009, his DVD, Ancient Light, was aired on the PBS network. In addition to his recordings August is the author of three books and a informative blog.
John Diliberto of Echoes radio says "August has always been a cut or two above most native flute players... He layers guitars, keyboards and all kinds of percussion into his compositions, moving from world fusion to airy ambiences." The Los Angeles Times has called his music "shimmering and luminous."
A Look at Santa Fe, New Mexico
Click Image to Enlarge
"Touch the country [of New Mexico] and you will never be the same again." —D.H. Lawrence, c. 1917
Student Workshop Comments
- Flutes not included. If you need a flute we can help you get one.
- If you cancel between July 1, 2017 and August 31, 2017 you will receive a refund of your payment, minus a $25 cancellation fee.
- If you cancel after August 31, 2017, you will receive a refund of your payment, minus a $50 cancellation fee.
- The school requests participants sign a liability waver for school participation.
- Santa Fe is located at an elevation of 7,000'. Please talk to your health care professional if you have problems with altitude.